IP Geolocation website (free lookups)

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Tue Aug 24 09:25:01 EDT 2004

To those looking to track down the origin of questionable IPs:

http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

I just tracked down a few hitting my ssh port with bogus request, and
they are all coming from China, Taiwan, or Hong Cong. Most curious.

You could use their databases to restrict access to your machine from a
particular country (US) -- they offer mappings in CSV format for a
nominal fee.

There is a bit of controversy about "dividing up" the Internet on the
basis of IP origin. Personally, I have no problems with this if done for
purely marketing reasons, but other uses may not be as savory. Some may
even question doing that with marketing. What's your opinion on it?

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.