IP Geolocation website (free lookups)

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Aug 24 15:24:01 EDT 2004

Fred wrote:

>To those looking to track down the origin of questionable IPs:
>
>http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp
>
>I just tracked down a few hitting my ssh port with bogus request, and
>they are all coming from China, Taiwan, or Hong Cong. Most curious.
>
>You could use their databases to restrict access to your machine from a
>particular country (US) -- they offer mappings in CSV format for a
>nominal fee.
>
>There is a bit of controversy about "dividing up" the Internet on the
>basis of IP origin. Personally, I have no problems with this if done for
>purely marketing reasons, but other uses may not be as savory. Some may
>even question doing that with marketing. What's your opinion on it?

I tested it. It generally got the country right (24 out of 25), half the
time it got the right state and twice out of 25 got the city right.
I doubt I'd block by an alleged country mapping, in any event. I'd
prefer to block on actions, not on location. Of course, I do
regularly receive legitimate communications from China, Taiwan, Estonia,
Brasil, and various other regions. I get more port scans
from "down the street" than from overseas.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272