Auth/system-auth & POP3 daemon

Kevin D. Clark clark_k at pannaway.com
Tue Aug 24 15:40:01 EDT 2004

"Brian Chabot" <brian at datasquire.net> writes:

> Of course xinetd is making connections on 110.

Sorry.  Of course I meant 113.

> The interesting thing I found is this:
> ================
> # lsof -r -i tcp:113
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE  DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> xinetd  8017 root    0u  IPv4 1639491       TCP
> myhostname:40587->outside.fqdn.net:auth (SYN_SENT)
> ====================

[snip]

> Now the only possible setting I know of that might do this is (from
> /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3):
>          log_on_success          += USERID
> Could this be it?  If so, how can I continue to log the userid without
> the auth request?

Are your PAM settings doing this?  What does /etc/pam.d/pop and
/etc/pam.d/system-auth look like?

>  > I'm betting that it is your x?inetd process.
>

> Good guess.  Now to find out why it works on the LAN connection and
> not over the WAN port.....

Do you have a (possibly stateless) firewall on the WAN side that filters out TCP
SYNs from "non-standard" ports like TCP port 113?

Does your iptables setup on the POP3 server drop the incoming SYN/ACK
segments that result from the initial TCP SYN?   What happens when you
temporaryly disable these?

Regards,

--kevin
--