Replacing PBXes with Open Source

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Wed Aug 25 14:19:01 EDT 2004

Jon maddog Hall wrote:

>This is going to be HUGE.  It will be HUGE in emerging economies, but also
>HUGE in our own economy.   I show you website http://www.asterisk.org/

I'm with you there.... just last week I picked up their new lite dev kit
and am starting to play with this at home...  I currently use Vonage..
and am happy with it... but I see a lot of potential in the Asterisk
project paired with cheap ($100) ip phones, soft phones and IAX service
providers.  All the pieces are there to some degree for sweeping changes
in the way communications 'end points' are done..

I'm hoping to get up to speed with this so I can help others take
advantage of it with some consulting work.

Jared