Replacing PBXes with Open Source

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Wed Aug 25 16:50:01 EDT 2004

klussier said:
 > I agree that VoIP will be huge in emerging economies...

Not sure... after all, you need the Internet infrastructure -- with a
fair bit of bandwidth -- in place to take advantage of it.  I believe
calls are ~80kb/s, including TCP overhead, which is a fair bit more than
analog can cope with.  On the other hand, my pesky Asterisk hardware
STILL hasn't shown up a month after I ordered it, so I can't speak from
experience.  (No fault of Digium; I had to go through a third-party
vendor for purchasing reasons.)

One question I have, though: how does H.323 cope with NAT, firewalls,
etc., for incoming calls?  Anyone know?

-Ken