Bookstores [Was: Re: Going OT [Was: Re: Replacing PBXes with Open Source]]

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 16:34:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:54:19 -0400, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:21:55 -0400
> Michael Costolo <michael.costolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't ever see myself curling up in bed with my laptop.   And the
> > paperless office has yet to be realized.  Methinks if there is a way
> > to make a buck with dead tree versions, someone will be doing it.
> I think there are two kinds of thing that might happen. One might be an
> electronic book, that has the approximate dimensions and weight of a
> book (or a page), and you read it like a book. While I think we have the
> technology to do this today, it will require someone to bring the idea
> to the marketplace.

But why exactly would they do that?  Same size, weight, etc. of a
book, but needs batteries, has a screen that can break, and costs far
more than a common $10 or $15 paperback.  And if Microsoft has
anything to do with it, it will come with a thumb scanner to verify
that the user has authorization to be reading it.

I want to be there when they try to convince the Vulture Capitalists
it is worth the investment.

--
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
those who have not got it."