GIMP 2.2 splash screen contest

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Sat Dec 4 04:39:00 EST 2004

Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I don't think I'm going to win, but there is a contest to create the
> splash screen for the newest version of the GIMP, so I entered.  You can
> too if you get something in by Sunday.
>

> All the entries are here: http://gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi
> My entry is here:
> http://gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=2004120406421820315

Many if not all of them look fabulous.

My major concern though, is whether or when they will work on reducing
the load time and footprint for the plugins.  Making them load-on-demand
would certainly help, as would unloading them when not needed.

In advocating Linux to Windows users, I'm frequently asked, "Can I still
use Photoshop?"  I want to introduce them to GIMP, but when you have a
ton of plugins to show off, it takes forever and a day to simply load.

Sure it loads up fine with the basic install, but especially when
showing someone the Windows port, you get the GTK load to slow it down,
and with each and every plugin loading as well....

It's bad enough that the move from Photoshop to GIMP is a huge change in
GUI... At least if the folks developing GIMP could take a cue from the
folks over at OpenOffice.org things might improve in the advocacy arena...

Brian

|   brian at datasquire.net            http://www.hirebrian.net  |
|                Simply the Best IT/MIS Manager               |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |