Question about installing Linux on a Dell

Jeffrey Creem jeff at thecreems.com
Mon Dec 6 07:21:01 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Numberwhun" <numberwhun at comcast.net>
To: <discuss at gnhlug.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: Question about installing Linux on a Dell

> Ben,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I wasn't aware of Dell's linux site.  I must be
> brutally honest and say that I did not purchase this laptop with the
> intention of only having Linux on it.  If that were the case, I would have
> looked at compatibility.  Instead it fully meets my other needs and may be
> dual booted.
>
> Again, thanks for the link!!
>
> Happy holidays.
>
> Jeff Kirkland

Instead of dual booting you could go the vmware route. It is (generally)
easier to setup on laptops (since you are dealing with virtualized
hardware).
It makes it really easy to try multiple different Linux distros. Video speed
could
be better but for everything else (including large compiles) the slowdown is
not
really present.

I think you can get a $100 rebate on vmware as a member of a Linux users
group. (Not sure if they
are still running it). I submitted one name for someone here on the group
and I think they got their $100 discount.

Let me know if you are interested.