Can only the 100Mbs part of a 10/100Mbs router fail?

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Wed Dec 8 11:34:00 EST 2004

Travis,

Thanks for your response.

> It could be a duplex mismatch but I doubt it.
>
> I have had this happen to myself personally, where the 100mb part didn't
> work and the 10mb part did.

Okay, so it is a possibility.

> I assume by router you mean broadband router, not a "real" router.

Yes, it is an Actiontec R1520SU _4 Port Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway_ (basically
a DSL modem/broadband router device).

> Most consumer level 10/100 "switches" or "routers" are switching hubs.
> That is there's a 100mb hub and a 10mb hub and the switching happens
> between the 10 and 100mb parts, not between each port. So that part
> might also be broken.

So if the 10Mb hub to 100Mb hub connection is broken, and if the DSL
connection and the Admin HTTP server is via the 10Mb hub, then the 100Mbs
ports would not be able to get to the internet, the admin webpage, or computer
#1 (10Mbs), but they should be able to get to other 100Mbs devices.  I don't
recall if computer #2 (100Mbs) could get to the computers behind the 100Mbs
switch.  I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks,
Larry