Can only the 100Mbs part of a 10/100Mbs router fail?

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Wed Dec 8 11:35:01 EST 2004

Brian,

Thanks for your response.

> Every 10/100 device I've seen in the last 10 years has used 1 chip to handle
> the 10/100 PHY.  This means that it would be (IMO) HIGHLY unlikely that only
> the 100Mbs portion could/would fail, I would expect all or nothing.

One thing I did notice is that when a 100Mbs device is connected to the
router, the router's light for that port flashes very fast, indicating a lot
of traffic.  I ran ethereal on computer #2 and it was not getting any response
to it's DHCP, nor was it seeing any incoming traffic.

> Based on past experience (is there such a thing as *future* experience?) I
> would suspect the switch (I am assuming it's a cheapie Linksys type device?)
> and/or the cabling.
 >
> My suggestions would be to check/replace the cabling.  Move the switch
> physically closer to the router, try plugging a PC directly into the router
> (might need a crossover cable for this).

At this point I suspect something in the router.  Computer #2 is connected
directly to it.  I tried all four ports and tried two other cables.

> What are you usng for a router?

It is an Actiontec R1520SU _4 Port Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway_ (basically a
DSL modem/broadband router device).

Thanks,
Larry