autonegotiation (was: Can only the 100Mbs part of a 10/100Mbs router fail?)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Dec 8 17:07:01 EST 2004

Once upon a time autonegotiation wasn't standardized.  Then it was.
But we still have non-standard gear in service here and there so it
still bites people once in a while and it gets a bad rap. 3COM gear has
been the biggest thorn in my side from this problem - they put out
10/100 managed switches that didn't support standard autonegotiation as
recently as 2001.

Plus, some telcos/ISP's are still putting in customer premise gear that
can do 10 and 100 and full and half, but does not support
autonegotiation at all, so you can't just assume all new gear 'works
correctly' either.

By now, though, it's pretty safe to say that any new gear that supports
autonegotiation will interoperate correctly.

-Bill
----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle