Decoding Microsoft (Outlook) Attachments

Kevin D. Clark clark_k at pannaway.com
Fri Dec 10 08:44:00 EST 2004

Jason Stephenson <jason at sigio.com> writes:

> Why go to all the bother of decoding the winmail.dat attachments?
> Lookout can be configured to send proper attachments. I've forgotten
> exactly what the steps are, because I haven't had to help anyone with
> it in about 4 years.
>
> Most folks are thankful for the help if you're polite about it.

I had a clueless boss (with an evil assistant) once who insisted on
sending me vomit^H^H^H^H^Hmail formatted this way.  At the time, I had
no choice but to investigate how to decode this mail, since I needed
to read some of this mail.  Asking politely didn't help either.

Actually, this was probably the situation that led me to start
investigating running my own IMAP server for my mail backend.

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit