FSF looking for Sys Admin

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu Dec 16 06:35:01 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 23:31, Brian Chabot wrote:
> Greg Rundlett wrote:
>  > The Free Software Foundation is looking for a GNU/Linux Sys Admin.
>  > http://www.fsf.org/jobs/fsf-sysadmin.html
>
> This makes me REALLY wish I was a coder.  I'm recently unemployed and
> fit (or could reasonably fake) all the requirements except:
> 3+ years experience with at least two programming languages.
> (and of course the programming skills requirements...)
>
> GRRRRRR.
>
> And the pay is low, but the benefits are significantly higher than
> anything on the market today.  I mean full medical, FOUR WEEKS PAID
> vacation, plus holidays, a new notebook, and a cell phone?  DAMN.  I
> haven't seen benifits in IT like that since before the bubble burst.

Looked at it, and the pay is REALLY low. Then again, it's a union job,
and I despise unions in any case. I'm wondering why a software/admin job
would be unionized. A *Free Software* job of all things. Strange.
Spooky. Ironic. Maybe I missed something. Has Boston unionized the IT
profession?

Of course, if you're "starving", anything will look sweet. And if you
have a family, the benefits don't suck either.

Another negative is that it is in Massachusetts, and on top of the low
salary you get to pay $$$$ in mass taxes that of which you receive no
material benefit from (unless you live in Mass, in which case you have
my sympathies. :-)).

Aside from all those negatives, it looks like an interesting position.
Too many negatives for my tastes, though. I've been looking for a way to
contribute to Free Software, but still have a family to feed, a
mortgage, and all the usual "facts of life" issues...
--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing