FSF looking for Sys Admin

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Dec 16 11:09:01 EST 2004

crschmidt at crschmidt.net said:
> Good point. At this point, I'm not really sure I want to leave where I do
> work; I like the environment, and I like the people, and I like being close
> to home, and I like the work I do. But there's something to be said for a pay
> raise, and working for ideals, something I can't do here nearly as much as I
> would be able to there. Working at an advertising firm is just not quite the
> same.

In 1977 I left my first job at Aetna Life and Casualty.  I had worked there
for almost five years.  I enjoyed the work, the pay was good, management was
decent, not good.  [I will say that twenty-seven years later I am still looking
for that "good management"]

I went to teach at a small, two-year technical college.  I took a 1/3 cut
in pay to teach there, and I stayed for about four years.  It was the most
rewarding job I ever had.  I left because a flamboyant lifestyle could not be
supported by the salary, and I was 2X my yearly salary in debt.  My first year
with Bell Laboratories fixed that issue.

Other jobs have had other benefits.  Even though I spent 16 years at Digital,
I had many different jobs inside the company, all dealing with Unix, or that
which was to replace Unix (and that was not to be WNT).

And certainly my work with Linux has come in a close second, but I will always
remember the impact that I had on those college kids, even the ones that did
not make it through the program.

Only you can help you with the final choice of taking the job.  But again,
if you don't apply, you will never know what could have been.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.