FSF looking for Sys Admin

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Dec 17 07:08:00 EST 2004

> Also, it helps to do something unique that distinguishes you from the
> masse' of other people in the field. Write a tool, some step-by-step
> guides, a book, etc. In short, anything that says you have skills and
> abilities that go above and beyond the norm.

That's key. I think writing procedures at MediaOne was the best
training. Sure, there's tons of geeks out there that can setup a linux
box. But how many can write a simple, short, and easy to follow set of
procedures to follow when the thing breaks and you're on vacation out of
cell phone range.

Mangers LOVE procedures. Making them generic as possible is also
important. Also keep stripped version handy to show with your resume
(you know, with all your company specific stuff out).