Subversion

Scott Garman sgarman at iname.com
Sun Dec 19 10:56:00 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 16:15 -0500, Fred wrote:
> Thanks, Bill.
>
> It may suit me to just take a snapshot of the current code and not try
> to put all the history of CVS in Subversion. Since I am (currently) an
> "one-man operation", it probably won't be too painful taking that
> approach.

Hi Fred,

cvs2svn is a tool that will allow you to do this:

http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/

You can migrate a CVS repo to subversion in a number of ways, even
ignoring past revision history (they refer to it as "top skimming" in
the documentation). You can even include/exclude individual branches.

I've used this tool to migrate some CVS repositories and it worked well,
though it takes a very, very, long time to run. In its default mode, it
actually checks out each CVS revision and checks it into the subversion
repository you've created. It might not be the most efficient tool, but
it's pretty stable for the purpose.

> I take it that the http: approach can be run across ssl a la https: if
> necessary. Or maybe the svn: can be run across a ssh transport -- which
> is what I would prefer

Yes and yes.

Also, if your group does any work in a mixed (windows and unix)
development environment, I can't recommend TortoiseSVN highly enough on
the Windows side. It's actually a plug-in for Windows Explorer that
works great; all the developers I've set up to use it so far at work
prefer it over WinCVS hands down.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Regards,

Scott