Cleaning computers after fire

Greg Rundlett greg at buzgate.org
Mon Dec 20 13:26:00 EST 2004

We had a fire at the house where I work over the weekend...that's the
bad news.

The good news is that the house didn't burn down and all the computers
seem fine (even though the vinyl blinds right above where my computers
are located are melted).  There is heavy smoke damage to the entire
house, and heat at the ceiling was at least 900 degrees in some parts of
the house.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with cleaning a motherboard /
PC internals after a fire.  I am sure that the chemicals/acid/soot in
the smoke could cause problems over time and so the equipment should be
cleaned as thoroughly as possible.  I'm running commodity desktop
systems, so it may be cheaper to just buy new ones and migrate the data
and applications.  But then again, we've got at least 5 PC's to deal
with, so buying 5 new PC's, then migrating everything would be expensive
and time-consuming.

tia

--
Greg Rundlett