Linspire / WalMart offer notebook < $500

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Dec 21 20:08:01 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, at 11:37am, greg at freephile.com wrote:
> http://info.linspire.com/walmart/

  While interesting, the thought occurs to me that I don't think I would
trust a $500 notebook if it came without an OS and I had to load one myself.
Neither Wal-Mart nor Linspire have stunning records when it comes to
customer service.  A negative experience with a cheap laptop that happens to
be running Linux will equate to a negative experience with Linux for most
people.  Would one perhaps be better off spending more money to get a
product with decent performance and better support?

HP/Compaq nx5000 (available with SuSE 9.1 or MS Win XP Home)
http://tinyurl.com/4h5pl

Emperor Linux (sells major brand laptops w/ Linux pre-loaded)
http://www.emperorlinux.com/

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>