Looking for a good portable linux system

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Dec 21 20:17:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, at 10:57am, invalid at pizzashack.org wrote:
> Personally, I think running slocate via cron is a waste of time on a
> personal machine. ... To be honest though, I never use locate, so for me
> it's pretty much pointless to have the cron job.

  Heh.  I use it all the time.  "I know I downloaded/saved a copy of a file
that had info on/does that...".

> If you have other cron jobs that are like slocate, that you need to run, a
> dual proc system may be of only limited help.  If your cron jobs are I/O
> intensive, and your application is I/O intensive, then your disks may be
> your bottleneck.

  Plus Linux's I/O scheduling has historically been rather poor, meaning
that even if you had just one I/O heavy task and several I/O light tasks,
they would all bog.  Supposedly this is better in 2.6, but I haven't had a
chance to look at that yet.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>