Looking for a good portable linux system

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Wed Dec 22 10:01:01 EST 2004

Mark Komarinski wrote:

>Under normal circumstances, you'd be right.  But the concern here is the
>overhead of (s)locate building its database at the wrong time.  If the
>concern of waiting a few additional seconds or remembering the command line
>for find outweighs your system's hard drive churning away in the middle of
>a presentation, then stick with find.

The slocate database build is scheduled in my default cron (from
Mandrake's default install) at 4:22 am on Sunday.
While I've had service calls then, I've never had a presentation at that
hour and day. ;-)

Since it is a scheduled task, why not just schedule it outside of
presentation times?
(I know that the real issue is not slocate, or such, but predictable
performance.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951