named madness

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Feb 2 10:24:47 EST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, at 7:21pm, jfreeman at threeofus.com wrote:
> http://monica.threeofus.com/gmi/xstatichost.txt.

  You need to put the opening parenthesis [(] of the SOA record on the same
line as the start of the record.  You can keep the other parameters, and the
closing parenthesis [)], on separate lines, but the opening one has to be on
the first line.

  Bill Mullen is also correct in that you need to put a trailing dot (.)
after all domain names, or named will automatically append the current
default origin to the name.  So <nic.cent.net> will become
<nic.cent.net.org.> in your file.  But that's minor.

> Jan 31 19:13:42 monica named[12233]: zone xstatic.org/IN: loading master
> file xstatic.org.hosts: unexpected end of input

  You may want to also consider upgrading to a newer version of ISC BIND.
When I double-checked the above syntax on my system, this is what I got for
diagnostics:

	Feb 2 15:10:08 dragon named[14584]: general: error:
	dns_rdata_fromtext: domains/test.com.zone:8: near eol: unexpected
	end of input

	Feb 2 15:10:08 dragon named[14584]: general: error: zone
	test.com/IN: loading master file domains/test.com.zone: unexpected
	end of input

  As you can see, the first line tells me the error is on line 8, near the
end of the line.  Much more useful then what you are getting.  This is with
ISC BIND 9.2.1.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>