MyDoom (was: Test)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 13:45:12 EST 2004

>>  This is going to happen; it is only a question of when.
>
> Considering this list is public, archived, and searchable via
> Google, I now give it a week or two until someone sees this and
> combines it with perl's MIME::Lite and Email::Simple modules ;)

Although I (think I) get Ben's general point it seems to me
that there haven't yet been enough VPLs ported to Linux to
facilitate the creation/spread of any truly virulent malware.

Isn't it true that most of the malware that's plaguing
the Net either relies heavily on all the mis-features
(like automatic blind execution of content) added to the
various Microsoft applications in the name of "convenience",
or else they exploit vulnerabilites on a scale that's only
possible as a result of the Microsoft monoculture?

I think there's still too much variablity in the
non-Microsoft parts of the world to make feasible the
construction of malware.  I don't say that malware that
spreads from Linux box to Linux box cannot be built (and
shame on those who DO say so) just that we don't yet have
sufficient infrastructure for any virulent examples.

*VPL - Virus Propagation Language.  Examples include
       ActiveX, IIS, MSWord macros, Outlook, VBscript,
       Windows Scripting Host, etc, etc.