NTP

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Wed Feb 4 16:37:44 EST 2004

Well, my favorite rdate server (clock.psu.edu) seems to no longer be
serving up time via the (admittedly antiquated) rdate format so I'm
forcing myself to foray into the fast paced ... er ... real time paced
world of ntp.

I'm running debian stable and pulled down the ntp package which appears
to be running protocol 4 by default.  I've chosen several open ntp
servers (after properly speaking with the coordinators, of course).

My plan is to have my gateway box (a linux server doing nat'ing for me)
connect out to these stratum 2 servers, and to have my internal machines
connect to the gateway.  Here's the thing, I can't seem to figure out
how to tell the internal machines not to act as a time server?  My
ntp.conf looks like this:

# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
#logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

### lines starting 'server' are auto generated,
### use dpkg-reconfigure to modify those lines.

server 192.168.1.1

However, if I do a netstat -upan | grep ntp, I get:

# netstat -upan | grep ntp
udp        0      0 192.168.1.67:123
0.0.0.0:*                           3403/ntpd
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:123
0.0.0.0:*                           3403/ntpd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:123
0.0.0.0:*                           3403/ntpd

(My local ip is 192.168.1.67)

It looks to me like I'm waiting for incoming connections on 123, and
therefor acting as a time server?  I know I'm behind a NAT and all, but
it seems like there should be a way to act simply as a client and not a
server?

--
Failure is NOT an option!
It comes bundled with Windows(TM).