piercing corporate FW outbound

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Feb 6 15:31:00 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:09:52PM -0500, Chris Brenton wrote:
> For the record, outbound SSH _can_ be a security risk.

So is HTTP, and it's a much more serious one than SSH, for a number of
reasons, including all the reasons SSH can be, and several more.  But you
don't generally see people trying to block (outgoing) HTTP traffic.

You can do application-level filtering to help the problem, but even
that doesn't solve it if the mechanism used to make the reverse
"tunnel" actually uses legitimate HTTP traffic...  Such a thing is
very possible, and I have personally seen it done.  In fact, a company
I once worked for sold a remote support solution based on that very
idea.

> Content checking can be a wonderful thing. :)

But it doesn't solve every problem, and it can make new ones.  As Mike
has discovered...  ;-)

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/