ABM Considered Harmful (was: piercing corporate)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 10:15:40 EST 2004

>> I [have] a fairly secure home network (protected by [A] a firewall
>> and [B] the total absence of Microsoft products ...
>
> A word of advice: As a professional admin and security annalist

Historian, right?   ;->

> who works with both Microsoft and FOSS products, I find your
> attitude toward Microsoft products to be rather naive.  Yes,
> their products have serious security issues and design flaws.
> But you have repeatedly and recently state your opinion that all
> Microsoft products are inherently and automatically insecure, and
> also implied that FOSS is bestowed with magical security goodness.
>
> That's bunk, pure and simple.

Agreed: your characterization is bunk.

Since the archives at mail.gnhlug.org don't go
back far enough, I'll include here a couple of
postings I've made in the past, and then invite you
to reconsider the possibility that I might actually
have a clue about the issues in question:

<archivedPosting1>