Samba related question.

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at sentito.com
Wed Feb 11 13:08:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 11:31, Ed Lawson wrote:

> My question relates to getting the Windows boxes to resolve the linux
> box by name.  He uses the combo DSL modem/router as a DHCP server.
> There is no local DNS server, the router points to the ISP's DNS.  The
> local boxes do not have hosts files for the other machines since DHCP is
> used.

You can still use hosts files, which will superseed the DNS entries (I
think on Windows, the hosts file is in C:\windows/drivers/etc or
something like that).

>  The linux box is getting its network info from the router and can
> access the Internet and any local machine can ping the linux box by
> using the assigned IP, but cannot ping it by name. Apparently the name
> of the linux box show up in the network neighborhood, but clicking on
> the icon results in a message about not finding machine on network.

The Network Neighborhood is using WINS to detect the Linux box. What you
are describing sounds like the Windows box is not authorized to connect
to the samba server. This is usually because Windows is using encrypted
passwords and samba isn't or vice versa.

>  The
> router shows no name for the linux box in the connections page. To me
> this means the DHCP client is not sending its hostname.

DHCP doesn't assign hostnames, it assigns IP addresses (and other
various info). DNS is used to resolve those IP addresses to names. You
can have a box that has foo for a hostname, 192.168.1.2 for an IP
address, and an entry in DNS that resolves 192.168.1.2 to the name
bar.domain.com. You can ping 192.168.1.2 or bar.domain.com, but the name
foo will show up in network neighborhood and it cannot be ping'd by foo
(if there is a WINS server in the picture, you can make this even more
convoluted).

He needs to either run a local DNS server with all of the names and IP
addresses in it, or set up hosts files on each of the machines. Or he
could use samba as a WINS server to keep track of everything. He also
needs to either enable plain-text passwords on the Windows side or
enable encryption on the samba side (whichever he isn't doing now), and
make sure that he has accounts on the samba server in the smbpasswd
file.