Samba related question.

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Wed Feb 11 13:45:11 EST 2004

In my case, I've used host files on each Windows box to tell them how to
resolve the ip address of my linux server.
It's easier for me than to setup a local DNS server (since I don't know
how to do that [Aside to Andrew, I would love some pointers here]).
Using a host file is as simple as opening notepad and editting your host
file.  On WinXP it is under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I
think.   For Win98, it is right in the windows directory.

A sample entry is in that file, and would look like this:
# ip                  host name                    alias
192.168.1.100 sambabox.mysite.com  sambabox

Once you save this host file, you can open a web browser on this machine
and browse "sambabox.mysite.com".  Or you can open a DOS shell and
ping sambabox.mysite.com
because the machine will know that it should connect to 192.168.1.100 on
the network.

That said, make sure that ipchains is not running on the Linux box, or
else if it is running, that you add the right rules for Samba's port.

As root, try
service ipchains stop
Then try connecting from Network Neighborhood

A default RH box will normally be running ipchains, and not allow Samba
connections.

A quote from my own experience...
(http://freephile.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=HowToNetworkPrinting)

"After searching on the net, I realized that I had installed ipchains as
a default firewall on my Linux
<http://freephile.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Linux> machine, and it
was not allowing access to the ports used by smb protocol. I will leave
ipchains configuration for another day. I already have my Linksys router
blocking traffic before it gets into my local network, so I stopped the
ipchains service from the service control panel in Linux. The equivalent
command line is:
service ipchains stop
Voila, I could connect to brie from Network Neighborhood. "

Ed Lawson wrote:

>For reasons that are best left unsaid, I am attempting to help a person
>in Colorado set up a RH9 box as a SAMBA server for Windows desktops.
>He bought the Linux box from Dell with RH9 installed.
>
>My question relates to getting the Windows boxes to resolve the linux
>box by name.  He uses the combo DSL modem/router as a DHCP server.
>There is no local DNS server, the router points to the ISP's DNS.  The
>local boxes do not have hosts files for the other machines since DHCP is
>used. The linux box is getting its network info from the router and can
>access the Internet and any local machine can ping the linux box by
>using the assigned IP, but cannot ping it by name. Apparently the name
>of the linux box show up in the network neighborhood, but clicking on
>the icon results in a message about not finding machine on network. The
>router shows no name for the linux box in the connections page. To me
>this means the DHCP client is not sending its hostname.
>
>I have not encountered this problem before, but not familiar with RH9.
>
>If the DHCP client sends a hostname, shouldn't that take care of this?
>By that I mean the other clients will get the name of the linux
>box from the DHCP server on the router associated with the IP.
>
>TIA
>
>Ed Lawson

FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business