Samba related question.

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Feb 12 00:08:58 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, at 11:31am, k1vp at grizzy.com wrote:
> If the DHCP client sends a hostname, shouldn't that take care of this? By
> that I mean the other clients will get the name of the linux box from the
> DHCP server on the router associated with the IP.

  No.

  DHCP clients can send a "hostname" to their DHCP server to help the DHCP
server identify them (useful for using static addresses with DHCP).  DHCP
servers can also send a hostname to the client (useful for nodes with no
non-volatile storage).

  However, none of this extends outside DHCP.  The DHCP server on the router
is almost certainly not publishing the names it gets in any way.  While it
is possible for a DHCP server to then update a DNS server, I've never heard
of a SOHO router doing this, and besides, you'd have to have a parent DNS
domain configured to contain the new names anyway.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>