tape drive error

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Feb 13 15:36:56 EST 2004

On Friday, Feb 13th 2004 at 15:14 -0500, quoth Charles Farinella:

=>I've started getting the following error when trying to back up to tape:
=>
=>"Write not multiple of tape block size"
=>
=>I need help interpreting what this means and what I might do about it.
=>I've run a bunch of diagnostic tests on the drive, and have gotten mixed
=>(inconsistent) results, so I kind of think it's hardware failure, but I
=>still would like to know what the message is telling me.
=>
=>This has worked for a year and a half, and I haven't changed anything
=>that I am aware of.  HP C1536a DDS tape drive.

Pray tell, what command is being executed when you run your backup?

steveo at syslang.net