How do *REAL* programmers work?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sun Feb 15 20:42:51 EST 2004

Erik Price wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2004, at 8:58 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
>
>> Going from a text-based word processor, like
>> WordPerfect 4.1, to a GUI word processor, like MS Write or Word, was a
>> great
>> step backwards, as the graphical appearance - fonts, bold, point size,
>> margins - became of more concern than finishing a good thought. Much too
>> distracting, imo.
>

> I agree w/this - I find it far easier to compose text in a text editor
> or a minimalist word processor like TextEdit (which is essentially a
> NeXT-based text editor with RTF capability).  Plain text files archive
> better than a word processor format, to boot.

In college, I used LaTeX for my Mech. Engineering labs.  I later used it
for a rhetoric class and LaTeX made it much easier.  Part of the grade
was on following standard formatting.  LaTeX worried about that so I
could focus on the content.  It would have taken much longer to do in a
WYSI(Almost)WYG editor.