Desktop Linux (fwd)

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Sun Feb 22 07:25:06 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 19:46, Travis Roy wrote:

> When Matt comes home with his new copy of Grand Theft Auto

Yup, games are a problem. Once you get into high graphics or specialty
applications, support is dismal. I have an engine ECU analysis program
that I just can't get to run under Linux no matter what I try.

> I realize that there are thousands and thousands of free OSS
> titles out there but the problem is that for people that just want to
> go out and get Quicken

I run Quicken on Linux via XOver.

> or TurboTax

I have not tried this year's version, but last year's ran fine for me
via Xover as well. As does PowerPoint, MS Word, heck even IE (OK, I have
to admit I've only actually used IE on my Linux system twice, both times
because I was accessing a site that didn't play well with Mozilla).

> I'm sure we've all run into the boss that won't let you put
> linux on a server because of the way it's developed.

Funny story, I was called in to do a security audit on this network's
Windows environment. Apparently they had a wicked unstable environment
till they hired in this hot shot sys admin. The guy put up a fuss about
me being there and *did not* want me auditing his servers. A meeting
between him, the CFO, the COO and myself almost came to blows and him
getting fired. When I logged on to the first server I figured out why.
He had converted the entire environment over to Linux running SAMBA
(even duplicated the screen saver) and no one was the wiser. All they
knew was the servers ran faster and no longer kept crashing. :)

And yes he passed my audit as he was patched and up to date. ;-)