Desktop Linux (fwd)

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Wed Feb 25 22:17:18 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 19:44, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> Nothing I love more than someone who decides they know what I'm thinking
> and gets its completely wrong,

Its not what you're thinking but what your writing. You seem focused on
ignoring posts from people like myself who are trying to tell you this
stuff _does_ work (with the exception of popular computer games which is
not going to happen unless the market is there). When you do acknowledge
that many of these packages will run on Linux, you dismiss the ability
with bizarre testing criteria like "the too strange test" or claiming
installing software is too hard for the typical end user.

> "Dude". :-)  (I'm pretty far beyond the
> "Dell" Generation but I appreciate the "Dude" anyway. Thanks.)

Ahhhh, this explains a lot. :)

> I guess you missed the part of this thread on how well the installation
> of Linux desktop systems replacing public windows systems worked.

Good for you.

> I'm simply trying to point out what is likely to be the most important
> "perceptual" issues with trying to make Linux on the desktop succeed in
> the mass market.

In the grand scheme of life, why does it matter? I mean so long as there
is enough market share and $$$ in the system to keep the Linux system
moving, why should we care if Linux ends up on every computer or not?
Despite wide scale desktop acceptance not happening yet, Linux is still
leaping forward at an amazing development rate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and I've been playing with it before
Red Hat even existed. I've been deploying it as a server solution for
the last 7 years and using it as my primary desktop for the last 4. I've
supported quite a few Linux projects though my time as well as my
wallet. I train about 2,000 people a year on the security benefits of
making Linux part of their infrastructure.

Despite all that, I have no interest in seeing it turned into the same
mass market Borg mentality that Windows has held up till now. What
matters is we have choices and that Linux continues to be one of them.
If people choose to run it, that's cool. If they don't, that's cool too.

> Linux works fine for you, and me and many others but if
> you want Windows desktop users to start spontaneously migrating to
> the Linux desktop in large numbers, You must make sure that they
> deeply desire the change.

I guess this is really where we differ. I have no problem helping
someone that has made the choice to move to Linux. I also have no
interest in pushing Linux on them before they make their own decision to
make the jump. People are welcome to run what ever OS they wish.
Besides, I'm in no hurry to give the kiddies a reason to stop targeting
Outlook and start targeting Evolution.

> How many organizations have you converted from Windows to Linux as
> an outside vendor?

Ball park guess maybe 30 or so. Probably about the same number that I
have talked out of moving to Linux because I knew they could never
support it.

If I know Linux is not a good fit I will not push it. It does not take
many migration failures to start producing bad PR. A good example is you
sticking to your guns about quicken and tax software not working simply
because you don't have it running. I've had it running for well over a
year without a problem. Then again people in the failure column tend to
be more vocal.

> Its not easy and the perceptual state of the
> customer's mindset is first last and always the most important piece of
> the puzzle.

I don't have this problem. If I'm recommending Linux its not because I
want to see the whole world assimilated, but because it makes good
business sense for that organization. I can show them in dollars and
cents why its a good idea. If they run with it, cool. If they don't,
that's cool too. If I'm consulting my only roll is to give them my best
advice. Their job is to choose to accept it or not.

> We (The Linux community) still have work to do in this area.

I think Linus himself has been the best roll model in this area. He's
focused on making Linux as cool and powerful as possible. If people dig
it, cool. If not, it does not really seem to phase him. The man has
style. :)