Desktop Linux (fwd)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Feb 26 00:09:55 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:15:14PM -0500, Brian Chabot wrote:
> Everything I need to do I can do in Linux.

But as members of the community, we can not forget that many people
who use computers can not effective do what they need to do in Linux,
and in some cases can't do it at all.

> It took a little work to get the video card to work right (nVidia's
> problem, really) and the VPN to my job was slow getting started, but
> once set up the only things I found lacking are game and some
> proprietary multimedia support.

We most also not forget that the average home user does not want to
spend time figuring out how to make their video card work, etc...
They generally want stuff to "just work" for them.  Most acknowledge
that some amount of work -- installing software, or following some
(extremely simple) directions to make a change in some applet in the
control panel -- will be required on their part.  But if they had the
choice, they wouldn't even do that.

> I've already gotten one roommate and another friend into using Linux and
> I tend to be their primary support line.  The friends/neighbors/etc.
> support is starting.

This is good and important; but for most home users, it's not enough.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/