Desktop Linux (fwd)

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 11:15:52 EST 2004

--- Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> You have it backwards. It shows that a completely random and untrained
> population sample will be able to use Linux when it looks and acts
> exactly like what they already know, Windows.

I don't believe you are the only one allowed to draw conclusions.  Nor are yours the
only valid ones.

> They didn't have to learn a new application.

They weren't using Word, were they?  They must have had to learn how to use Open
Office then.

> The Library users had no problems (They still had complaints :-) ) using
> the application because it worked and looked exactly like what they
> already knew how to use - Microsoft Word.

I could make a lot of programs *look* like Microsoft programs.  It doesn't mean they
would be easy to use.

> If they had had to learn a new word processing application, it would
> not have been successful.

Honestly now, how different are word processing applications?

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"
-George Bernard Shaw