Examination of a Linux Gui, w/color commentary

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 08:04:30 EST 2004

> In an Ironic side twist, coincidental to one of the recently
> active threads in gnhlug-discuss, ESR is examining the issues he
> encountered whilst attempting to configure a printer using the
> CUPS GUI config tool.

Wow, thanks for that one - now I don't feel so bad.
Having gone through a similar wrestling match with CUPS a few
months ago I am sorry to say that I share ESR's opinion to a
large extent.  And it ain't that I'm particularly clueless
about computers (hell, in the end I wound up submitting
a patch for the daemon code to fix a situation where you
could force a SIGSEGV in one place and an endless loop in
another by simply including tildes in the URIs mentioned in
the cupsd config file, but that's another story) but in my
situation configuring CUPS was definitely harder and less
obvious than it should have been.

Of course, I've also had a number of encounters with
Microsoft products that left me foaming at the mouth, and
in those cases I didn't have source code available when
all else failed...