Examination of a Linux Gui, w/color commentary

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Sun Feb 29 11:50:12 EST 2004

I agree with John Abreau completely on this one. I remember reading a
joke online about what if people drove their cars the way they operate
computers.

I am not going to place the blame solely on Microsoft for this, but it
is my feeling, from working with "non-tech savvy" people all the time,
that people in general do not even know half as much about running their
computer as they do about running their car.

Most folks know the rules of the road. They know that their car needs
certain things--gas, oil, water--in order to operate properly. They also
know the basic maintenance schedule (oil change every x thousand miles)
and that it needs basic maintenance.

A computer needs analoguous things in order to operate properly, yet
most users remain ignorant of the most basic steps required to keep a
computer running efficiently.

Most people can tell when their car needs servicing or that a funny
noise from the engine means they should have the car looked at. These
very same people will suffer with intermittent lock ups on their
computer for weeks and months before they get so frustrated and complain
to me that something is wrong with their computer. The problem is that
the general unreliability of software in the Microsoft world also has
them trained to ignore minor things, but then those minor things grow
into something serious before they bring it in.

Largely, it is a matter of user education. After all, we are required to
get a drivers' license before taking an automobile onto the public
highways. This is done to ensure that all drivers have a basic
understanding of the rulse of the road and the operation of a motor
vehicle. I have occasionally wondered if something similar should not be
required before hooking a computer onto the Internet.

A perfect example of where user ignorance can cause serious problems for
others on the 'Net is the latest round of MyDoom viruses. This exploited
no holes on the OS, but the vacancy between the user's own ears. How
otherwise very intelligent and capable people can choose to remain so
willfully ignorant of what has become a basic tool required to do just
about any job, including their own, is beyond me.

I have even encountered the occasional technophobe, who says they "hate"
computers. I feel like telling them that if they don't like computers
there's always their backyard where they can take up dirt farming.
Computers have become so prevalent in our society in one form or another
that you cannot escape them.