Okay, Debian gurus... a challenge.

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 14:21:47 EST 2004

>> c) re-install _all_ their files (I have a backup of all config data,
>>    so it's not like I'd be starting from scratch).
>
>If your currently installed packages list is valid, what about just
>something like:
>
>dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 | xargs apt-get install --reinstall

I was thinking of a similar approach, something like:

   apt-get install --reinstall `COLUMNS=1000 dpkg -l | grep -e '^ii ' | awk '{ print $2 }' `

...but I'd still expect things to get rather gory, given
that the system in question now has a damaged/incomplete
collection of files.

P.S.  BTW, I'm more like a Debian user afflicted
      with Kuru than I am a Debian guru...