Maybe time for a new distro?

Marc Nozell marc at nozell.com
Thu Jan 22 16:48:13 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:56:05PM -0500, Bill Sconce wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2004 09:58:36 -0500
> brian <lists at karas.net> wrote:
>
> > However, I've been thinking recently of switching to a different distro,
> > mostly for "because" reasons and partially to just try other things.
> > I've also got a fair amount of Debian experience, FWIW.
>

> I recommend you check into Libranet.  It is Debian, to begin with.  It takes
> care of installing Gnome (desktop and applications), does auto-sensing of
> hardware very well, and so on.  I have found it to be worth paying for the
> CD many times over (as have some others - perhaps they'll chime in).

Don't forget the debian-based Knoppix.  It is very good about
discovering hardware and has an option to install to your disk.
Thereafter just use standard debian apt tools to keep your system
updated.

I've been handing out Knoppix to my Linux-curious co-workers who
aren't quite ready to take the leap of repartitioning their Windows
systems...

-marc
--
Marc Nozell <marc at nozell.com>		http://www.nozell.com/blog