Virtual Reality on Linux?

Brian H. Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Fri Jan 23 19:08:07 EST 2004

Ok,so now that I have a new toy for a desktop, runnin Mandrake 9.2
rather nicely, I decided to surf around looking for info on VR.

Yeah, I'm a Gibson and Stephenson fan.

So as I was looking around I got more and more disheartened.  Almost
nothing has hapenned in the realm of VR since the mid-1990's.  I surfed
through http://www.cwonline.com/ http://www.web3d.org/ (which used to
have the best links from it...) etc. including more 404 errors than you
can shake a stick at.

I even fell in lust for http://www.3dwm.org/ (no work for 2 years?!?)

Then I tried to install a VRML viewer for old times sake.  Right.  I got
stuck in dependency hell on something like 4 different applications.

So then I got to thinking. (...And, of course, kicking myself for not
being a  coder...)

I have an idea for a project.  A  BIG project.  And I'll be 90 or older
by the time I learn all the skills to complete it.  So I'm asking around
to see if there's anyone out there willing to work with me on  this.

I want to change the paradigm of the user interface and ultimately, the
internet.

If anyone thinks this might be a possibility, I'm working on a project
whit paper to put my ideas out there.  The first, and very rough draft
is at http://iarwain.mortis.org/glogo1.html

Basically, I want to make a 3D user interface that not only includes a
desktop interface to blow Sun's Looking Glass away, but I also want to
complete the transformation by moving away from the whole concept of
monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Ultimately, I'd like to create a 3D UI standard for input devices,
output devices(not unlike the current AGP/VGA, mini-PS/2, and USB
standards), and the desktop environment.

Now I certainly don't have the programming experience needed for this
now the hardwar experience... I'm just a System and Network admin type
with a passion for this sort of thing.  I may just be having some wierd
dream from the pizza I just ate.

Am I alone here?  Is there anyone here who would be willing to pitch in
and make this dream  a reality?

Anyone want to start something big?

Brian