Templated text to PS conversion

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 14:59:48 EST 2004

--- Dan Coutu <coutu at snowy-owl.com> wrote:
> I'm searching the net for this and thought I'd also ask here in case
> someone knows of such a beast already.
>
> I'm trying to find something that's like an enhanced txt2ps converter.
> It would not only convert text to PostScript, retaining the same layout,
> but also allow inserting of graphic elements, such as a logo, into the
> output in a pre-defined place.
>
> The idea is to be able to use textual reports, such as you get from
> ordinary SQL, and print them so that they look like they were typeset.
> The requirement to be able to add in at least one graphic is key.
>
> Ring any bells? Does anyone know of something like this out there?

If you can make it so that you output some some LaTeX prior to your text output (and
after), you can add all the graphics you want and convert to PS or PDF:

% LaTeX preamble
\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{graphicx}
%
\begin{document}
% add your image
\includegraphics{filename}
%
\begin{verbatim}
% insert your text below
\end{verbatim}
\end{document}

Save as filename.tex.  Run "latex filename.tex" then "dvips filename.dvi" to get
filename.ps.

This is one solution anyway.

-Mike-

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"
-George Bernard Shaw