Linux not booting on Gateway E-4000 / Intel 865GLC Motherboard?

Portelance, Brad Brad.Portelance at state.vt.us
Wed Jan 28 10:37:56 EST 2004

Hello!

I'm in a real bind with a Linux booting issue and would very much appreciate
any suggestions from the community.

Has anyone every had an experience w/the above System / Motherboard freezing
at the BIOS Screen only when there's Linux partitions on the Hard Drive? If
there's any other partition or none at all, then the system makes it past
the BIOS screen with no problem.

I can load Linux (Mandrake 9.2) on this Desktop PC or just write the
partitions and have it freeze at the BIOS Screen (Won't even let you enter
BIOS setup), not even trying to boot (Never makes it to LILO).

If I take the HD (After loading Linux completely on this machine) and put it
in another Gateway model (A GW E-3600 - it boots that Linux just fine. So
the E-4000/Intel 865GLC Motherboard write the partitions, load Linux, but
just not recognize the partitions at boot time. This points strongly to a
BIOS issue, but I want to be sure.

We have tried flashing the BIOS, swapping memory and 3 different Hard drives
with no luck.

I have talked several times to Gateway Tech Support and they will not
Support Linux on the desktop and refer me to the pay-per-call server group
who supports only server hardware.

Google and news group searches didn't find much.

If any one has any ideas at all, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Brad