Using linux to clone a Windows ME disk?

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Sat Jan 31 12:34:45 EST 2004

I realize you wanted to do this with Open Source tools but the Powerquest
Drive Image tool will do this quickly and reliably. In a UNIX environment,
I've cloned disks using dd but it gets complicated when you mix in Microsoft
formats. Not only that but you probably want to make the new 60 gig drive a
single large partition and although Drive Image will do that automatically,
it probably would be more difficult with Linux based tools. It should be
easier to copy a FAT32 partition and use Windows ME than for example NTFS
and any of the NT variant OSs.  I guess when you bought the 60 gig drive it
didn't come with any utilities right? If you happen to buy a Maxtor or a
Western Digital drive, both manufacturers include utilities that do what
Drive Image does i.e. make a mirror of the partition and allow you to grow
the target partition to the size of the available disk. You might want to
check the web site for the manufacturer of the 60 gig drive to see if they
have downloadable utilities.

-Alex