GRUB Helpand

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Tue Jul 13 22:44:00 EDT 2004

Hi Ed,

> I then decided to do it right; just boot from grub using /dev/hda0.

 > title Windows
 >     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
 >     chainloader +1

Since you haven't gotten many response, I figured I take a stab.  It's been a
while since I've had to understnad GRUB, so I'm pretty much guessing here.

First, I have a "makeactive" line before "chainloader +1".  I believe this
makes the partition active so that it's boot record will be read.

Second, maybe your Windows partition never had a boot record, but was instead
booting from the disk boot record.  (Sorry if my terminology isn't quite
correct.)  Then when you installed GRUB it over wrote the Windows boot code
sitting in the disk boot record.  Maybe putting the Windows boot code on the
Windows partition will make things work.

Larry