Installing on a USB drive

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Wed Jul 14 16:36:02 EDT 2004

Has anyone found a distribution that will install on a USB drive? So
far, I've tried Libranet, Fedora Core 2, and Debian 3. None of them
recognized the USB drive at install time. (But if I Alt-F2, then I can
fiddle around with modprobe and get things limping along, but only on
Libranet).

I'm looking for a distro that will do this out-of-the-box. Anyone know
of any?

Just call me naive, bit it seems like a lot of people would want to do
this on their notebooks. Putting an OS on an external drive seems to be
the way to go given that the support contracts stipulate MS Windows
only.

--Bruce

PS: Yes, my notebook will boot off a USB drive. (At least it tries to,
but there's no Linux distribution to boot!)