Samba Question

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Jul 27 20:02:00 EDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, at 5:31pm, cesmith at metrocast.net wrote:
> the logs say that Samba is started but I can not get it to show up on my
> windows network.

  Issue all of the following commands at the shell prompt on your
Linux/Samba computer.

  Try:

	ps ax | grep smbd

If you do not see at least one "smbd" process running, then Samba is not
running.  It may be that Samba is attempting to start but failing.

  Try:

	testparm

The above will test your Samba configuration file.  If it complains of
problems, fix them.

  Try:

	smbclient -L //localhost

That should list the shares on the local Samba server.  If it fails, post
the error message.  If it works, at least part of Samba is working.

  If the above works, try:

	smbclient -L //foo

where "foo" is the name of your Samba server.

  Let us know the results of the above, and we'll go from there.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>