ssh from there to here?

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Fri Jul 30 14:39:00 EDT 2004

Ted Roche wrote:

> I've been using ssh to transfer files to my web server from my home
> office without a problem, but I'm trying to receive rather than send,
> and either I don't understand how to form the command, or I've got
> something configured wrong.
>
> To test the configuration, I've ssh'd into the remote machine, and
> initiated an ssh session from the remote box back into the local
> machine, to get the authorized host key in place. I've scp'd a file
> that way from the remote box to the local box successfully. But, when
> I try to pull a file from the remote server, I'm getting a failure. Is
> this the right way to try to transfer the file, or should I be doing
> something else? I'm guessing that the remote machine can't get the
> password to the local machine because it's executing with the -n flag.
> Do I need to use ssh-agent or keychain to get this to work?
>
> Below is the verbose output of the attempt. Any guidance would be
> appreciated.
>
> $ scp -v troche at tedroche.com:/home/troche/Ted.png
> tedroche at 66.31.253.217:/users/tedroche/

The last time I looked you could not use scp to copy a file between two
remote computers, which is
what your command above is trying to do. Either the source or
destination needs to be local. So you
could use either of the two commands below to copy files:

scp troche at tedroche.com:/home/troche/Ted.png /users/tedroche
scp /home/troche/Ted.png tedroche at 66.31.253.217:/users/tedroche/

The first one pulls a remote file to your local system, the second
pushes a local file to a remote
system.

Hope this helps.

Dan