Webmin Corrections (was: Re: This monday: Webmin, Gentoo)

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Fri Jul 30 17:00:01 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 14:57, Derek Martin wrote:

> Sure, but the point is to run /Webmin/ on a non-standard port...  If
> people are trying to exploit a bug in Webmin, they're going to go
> looking for it on the default Webmin port, not on port 80/443.

Or they can just do a port scan on your box and see where Webmin sits.

Here's what webmin looks like on one of my boxes:

10000/tcp  open        snet-sensor-mgmt

Of course, you can configure webmin to respond only to certain IP
addresses. Of course, if the origin IP is spoofed, bets are off anyway.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.