Forcing expiration of DHCP lease

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Thu Jun 3 15:45:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Richard A Sharpe wrote:

> the command on the window client is from the dos prompt issue the command:
> ipconfig /release

That is the command to release the IP on the CLIENT.
I was talking about removing an issued lease from the DHCP SERVER.

And, releasing the IP from the client, AFAIK, doesn't mean the lease is
cancelled, just inactive.  If you renew the IP during the lease term
(ipconfig /renew)  you ought to get the same IP number. The MAC is still
associated with that IP and, in his case, the name. According to the
Microsoft DHCP Server documentation I just checked, the lease is valid until
the expiration date. So, if you have a three year lease on an IP, it cannot
be issued to a different MAC address until the three years are up.

I haven't checked the RFCs for DHCP, but I doubt there is any way for the
client to force a lease to expire. The point of DHCP is that the DHCP server
is configuring the client, not the other one around.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 603-624-7272