SSH key generation and keychain

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Fri Jun 4 16:11:01 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 15:55, Eric Pfeifer wrote:
> I've established my keypair and copied the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the .ssh
> home directory on the remote machine and merged it into authorized_keys. I've
> ran ssh-agent and did an ssh-add. but I still get prompted for my key
> passphrase. How can I set it up so I don't get prompted?

This could be cause by a couple of things that I can think of.

1) The file (on the remote site) should be called "authorized_keys".

2) File permissions - some ssh implementations enforce that the file
permission on the authorized_keys file must be 600.

3) Key length - openssh at least will require that the length of your
key be at *least* 768 bits.

4) Make sure that your ssh daemon on the remote end is configured to be
able to accept public keys.

--
"If Al Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell check."
	-- Dan Quayle

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc