pcmcia wireless card

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jun 10 16:43:01 EDT 2004

> Are there any recommendations for such a card?  How about a
> recommendation for a good mail-order place to obtain one of these?

The 802.11b (& g) vendors change chipsets very quickly.  The d-link
802.11b card has had 4 different chip sets from 4 different vendors so
far.  I have the 4th version (P?) which seems to be a PRISM chip that is
supported.  I've only used it on WinXP with Netstumbler which works well.

If you just want to connect to an AP, you'll have fewer restrictions then
someone that wants to wardrive.  My toshiba built-in 802.11b won't do
monitor mode for sniffing, but works well w/ Mandrake 9.2 and 10.  I'll
have to compile a kernel for monitor mode once I figure out exactly which
chipset is used.

I'd suggest looking at kismet's site.  They have a list of working cards
as well as links to other sites.